ignite-dev mailing list archives

From endianignite <endianign...@gmail.com>
Subject Per-entry overhead - some questions
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:19:39 GMT
Hi Igniters,

I have been looking in to the per-entry overhead for Ignite cache entries
and have a couple of questions.

1. Does each GridCacheMapEntry require a reference to GridCacheContext<?, ?>
or could this field be removed/optimized in some way? Is the
GridCacheContext instance the same for every entry in a particular cache?

2. Is the GridCacheMapEntry extras field (a reference to
GridCacheEntryExtras) often/usually null? If so, could we find a clever way
to remove this field and save a further 8 bytes?

The reason for asking is that I am looking at a use-case where object sizes
are very small, but the number of objects is very large, and therefore the
overhead is substantial.  In this particular case, the overhead is 70-75% of
the consumed memory.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards
Mike