ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Yakov Zhdanov <yzhda...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignite: configuration changes at runtime
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:20:23 GMT
> I like the idea, but I am not sure how we will separate properties that
are
>dynamically changeable from the constant ones.

Why do you want the separation? I thought having some annotation like
@RuntimeChangeSupported will be sufficient for documentation

>Also, what is the API for updating these properties? Perhaps we can create
>a special interface, e.g. IgniteConfigurationRuntime (similar to Java
>Runtime class), which will have only setters and have all the properties
>that can be changed at runtime.

The best way is to change the properties where they are configured, i.e.
use setters of configuration objects and setters of SPI's, etc. This most
likely will require stop using copy constructors for configurations. I
never liked that since it was sometimes the reason for stupid issues and we
do not do deep copy, e.g. SPIs and user provided factories are moved to the
copy as is. Moreover it is not 100% clear why it works this way for ages?

I don't like separate interfaces with setters. How then should I get the
current updated values? Let's start from shorter list of easy to support
properties and see what issues we face.

We also need to think over the propagation to newly started nodes. If new
nodes are started with a config file and some properties were updated at
runtime for current server topology.

--Yakov