ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding sqlline tool to Apache Ignite project
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:21:57 GMT
Denis,

I’m glad you’re thinking of using SQLLine. Under the BSD license, you don’t need my
permission to distribute, but I grant that permission.

Drill, Phoenix and Calcite already distribute SQLLine, so Ignite is in good company.

If you need extensions, please discuss on the dev list, or open a GitHub case or pull request.
SQLLine operates in the usual way for a GitHub project. It’s unlikely that you’ll need
Ignite-specific extensions — SQLLine just exposes what comes through the JDBC driver —
but we can discuss if the need arises. The Hive project forked SQLLine into its own Beeline
module and I’d like to avoid a repeat of that.

Julian

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 6:35 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Igniters,
>
> Let me introduce Julian Hyde [1], creator of SQLLine tool and our Apache mate,
>
> Julian,
>
> Please grant that Apache Ignite community a permission to include SQLLine [2] it in every
Ignite deliverable (source, binary). It’s planned to suggest the tool as a default command
line SQL utility for Ignite clusters. SQLLite and Ignite usage will also be documented on
Ignite’s technical documentation.

> [1] https://people.apache.org/~jhyde/ <https://people.apache.org/~jhyde/>
> [2] https://github.com/julianhyde/sqlline <https://github.com/julianhyde/sqlline>
>
> —
> Denis
>
>> On Aug 25, 2017, at 9:17 AM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org <mailto:dmagda@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Ilya,
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification! Referring to the page shared by you [1] if we need
to get author’s consent in a written form:

>> A permissive license similar to the BSD 2-Clause License, but with a 3rd clause that
prohibits others from using the name of the project or its contributors to promote derived
products without written consent.