ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Pavlov <dpavlov....@gmail.com>
Subject Make Teamcity Green Again
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2017 18:20:44 GMT
Hi Igniters,

We all know that there are a lot of open tasks in Ignite project. To be
able to handle all these tasks, we need to grow our community. And to
achieve that, we should pay special attention to new community members.

As recent newcomer I’ve faced the following problem: There is no way to
find out by yourself whether your pull request changes are correct or not.
Contributor can not distinguish pull request test failures and master test
failures. Experienced Ignite contributor can estimate the damage, but how
it can be done by new community member?

Once failing test is introduced to master it is multiplexed to all later
PRs. As a result, we have tons of failures and suites timeouts, which waste
Teamcity agents time.

I suggest to start new activity - MakeTeamcityGreenAgain. I’m sure that
there are a lot of experienced developers in the community who understand
issues with tests very quickly. Please contact me if you are ready to help
the community to fix current test issues.

I would appreciate any ideas and sharing your vision how we can achieve
green teamcity.

If you are a newcomer, please share your feeling: are you confused by test
failures on Teamcity?

Sincerely,

Dmitriy Pavlov