ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Kuznetsov <stku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Non-UTF-8 string encoding support in BinaryMarshaller (IGNITE-5655)
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 15:23:57 GMT
I apologize for damaged formatting. Below is my message as it should be.

Hi Igniters,

I'd like to discuss future changes related to https://issues.apache.org/
jira/browse/IGNITE-5655.

Is it really good idea to introduce new flag (ENCODED_STRING) for existing
String datatype? It's possible to use existing STRING flag at negligible
performance cost.

Currently, utf-8-encoded string looks like

byteFlag nonNegativeIntStrLen bytes

This format can be backward compatibly extended to

byteFlag [negativeIntCharsetCode] nonNegativeIntStrLen bytes

Next, I suggest to add new BinaryConfiguration property for encoding to use
instead of using global property. It seems to be more convenient for user.

I'll appreciate your feedback.