ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 00:01:19 GMT
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> Well, here's the issue with "simple move from private repo". This is a
> huge chunk of code. And while employees of Gridgain are quite familiar
> with it (or so I presume), the rest of the community is not. I, for
> one, don't consider that the fact it has been tested and integrated
> with AI 2.0 and, effectively, outside of AI 2.0 is a reasonable "go"
> criteria.

Cos is absolutely correct here. Strong +1 to the above.

> I am sorry that I have to repeat this after 1.5 years after project's
> graduation from the Incubator. However, I, personally and otherwise,
> feel like a community process of creating software should be thought
> through in the spirit of the community, rather than "release dates" or
> "feature richness". Which means that the community has to be on board
> with the decisions like this. And "on board" doesn't mean "majority of
> the votes" as we, fortunately, aren't playing in democracy @apache.
> Release dates are relevant to an entity, building and selling
> products. in Apache we're are working on projects, and while releases
> are important here, they convey a very different meaning.

Which brings me to a related question: what exactly needs to be released
on this aggressive schedule and who is a beneficiary of this release?

What I am trying to say is this: if GirdGain has a product delivery
deadline -- the
company can go ahead and release its product with whatever features it needs to.

But I'm with Cos -- the community has to be given time to get comfortable with
the code base if for nothing else but for licensing implications.

Thanks,
Roman.