ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Ignite 2.1 scope
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 01:23:58 GMT
Igniters,

Let me start a discussion around the scope for 2.1 release.

In my vision the main direction of our ongoing efforts should be implementing in life a use
case of Ignite as a transactional distributed SQL database and HTAP platform. The current
use cases (database cache, data grid, micro services platform, etc.) will be supported as
usual, no changes on that frontier.

Keeping this in mind, the roadmap needs to include essential SQL related features as well
as disk based capabilities, MVCC support, advanced DDL implementation and so on so forth.
This is for Ignite as a SQL database.

Next, Machine Learning will be a great addition to Ignite as an HTAP platform offering. This
is why we should keep investing our time and resources in that recently released component.

Having this said, I see the scope for 2.1 release this way:

1. Distributed Persistent Store - if the donation is accepted by ASF. The decision is to be
done in separate discussion. W/o the store
   Ignite can only be used as In-Memory SQL database.

2. SQL Grid:
    - CREATE & DROP table commands: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4651
    - Renewed JDBC driver: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4922
    - Collocation based routing of SQL queries: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4510,
    -

3. .NET:
    - Peer-class loading: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-2492
    - SQLDependency: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-2657

4. C++:
    - Compute Grid: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-3574

5. ML Grid:
    - Linear regression algorithms: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5012
    - K-means clustering: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5113

Please join the thread and share your thoughts, ideas and concerns.

—
Denis