ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 02:37:40 GMT
Igniters,

GridGain, as one of the most active Apache Ignite contributors, has been developing a unique
distributed persistent store specifically for Apache Ignite for more than a year in-house.
It’s a fully ACID and ANSI-99 SQL compliant fault-tolerant solution.

The store transparently integrates with Apache Ignite as an optional disk layer (in addition
to the existing RAM layer) via the new page memory architecture that to be released in Apache
Ignite 2.0. This allows storing supersets of data on disk while having a subset in memory
not worrying about that you forgot to preload (warmup) your caches!

Assuming that the storage goes to ASF as a part of Apache Ignite 2.1 release the following
will be supported by Ignite out-of-the-box:

* SQL queries execution over the data that is both in RAM and on disk: no need to preload
the whole data set in memory.

* Cluster instantaneous restarts: once your cluster ring is recovered after a restart your
applications are fully operational even if they highly utilize SQL queries.

As for the use cases, it means that Apache Ignite will be possible to use as a distributed
SQL database with memory-first concept.

And we decided at GridGain that this tremendous feature should be open source from the very
beginning.

Guys, could you advise how I can start official donation process?

—
Denis