ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GridGain Donates Persistent Distributed Store To ASF (Apache Ignite)
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 23:17:15 GMT
Great news indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Before we jump on the voting and all that, can we have a chance to learn more
about this new feature and its integration points with the rest of the
platform? A few questions come to mind immediately:

1. This is an "optional disk layer", so it could be turned off _completely_ and
   have no effect on those who don't want nor need to use it, right?
2. Does it have any performance implications on the in-memory operations?
3. When you say it is "fully ... ANSI-99 SQL compliant fault-tolerant" does it
   mean that _all_ SQL operations are now now supported through SQL or still
   some of them only available through the JAVA APIs? THe fault tolerance is
   for the data-center only as before, right? No new WAN-able HA has been
   introduced?
4. With addition of this new model, are there any backward compatibility
   issues that would affect Ignite's application developers?
5. Can we have a discussion about the design of this new layer so people here
   can understand better what's being offered, how to take the advantage of
   it, and - most importantly - to offer their own insights and improvements
   into this new subsystems before it's landed in the source code? And it
   would safe a lot of time on Q&A as well.

I am confused a little bit by these two slightly controversial statements:
- "GG... has been developing a unique distributed persistent store...for more
  than a year in-house"
- "we decided at GridGain that this tremendous feature should be open source
  from the very beginning"

So, it sounds like the code has been under the development for a while and it
isn't opened up "from the very beginning", unless there's a new meaning of the
word beginning I am not aware of just yet :) It feels like this could be a
significant amount of the code to be digested by the community.

Appreciate your thoughts on this! Thanks,
  Cos