ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Usability Issue: Web Console doesn't give an option to add a primary key to object fields list
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 00:19:12 GMT
Alex K., Igniters,

It’s is stated that an existing JDBC based application that works with a relation database
should be easily migrated to Apache Ignite if we used Web Console and JDBC driver. So, I decided
to prove this.

A simple application was created that issues a bunch of SELECT, UPDATE, etc. queries.

For instance, the simplest query I had looks like this:

SELECT * FROM city WHERE id = ?

When Web Console is used for the schema importing purposes it doesn’t add ‘id’ field
to a City POJO and, consequently, doesn’t define index for this field. *From technical perspective*,
I do understand why we do this - to save some memory because cache entries key will be used
as ‘id’ instead.

But this breaks the usability in some sense because my simplest query above no longer works.

What if we add a special checkbox to Web Console that will add fields like ‘id’ to a POJO?
If the checkbox is disabled (default) we should show a message at the final importing stage
saying that fields like ‘id’ has to be replaced with ‘_key’.

Thoughts?