ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More SEO and API doc cleanup
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:41:37 GMT
> 2. Add the following tag to all .html files:
> <link rel="canonical" href="https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html>" />

> Bear in mind to change the url accordingly. For example, for java index version would
be: /releases/latest/javadoc/index.html <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/index.html>
Has the tag to be added to the html files of the latest documentation? Don’t think that
we should update all the files all the times.

—
Denis

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 8:22 AM, Mauricio Stekl <mauricio@gridgain.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Denis,
>
> Thanks for taking care of the marge!
>
> About the latest doc reference, when a new version is released it would be necessary
to do 2 things:

> 1. Update the new version number on the .htaccess file:
>
> RewriteRule ^releases/latest/(.*)$ /releases/1.9.0/$1 [L]
>
> 2. Add the following tag to all .html files:
> <link rel="canonical" href="https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html>" />

> Bear in mind to change the url accordingly. For example, for java index version would
be: /releases/latest/javadoc/index.html <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/index.html>

> This 2nd step can be done with any simple script. In particular I wrote/use the attached
.php scripts which, besides this task, also does other things related to SEO (adding noindex,
GA tracking code, etc). It contains some basic comments with instructions.

> Anyway, I do volunteer to do these 2 simple steps every time a new release is done.
>
> Best,
> Mauricio Stekl
>

> <apidocs-scripts.tar.bz2>
>
>> On Mar 10, 2017, at 19:37, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org <mailto:dmagda@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hello Mauricio,
>>
>> Thanks a lot, I’ve reviewed and merged your changes!
>>
>>> 	- Setup rewrite rule on .htaccess so latest API doc can have always the same
URL ( for example https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/ <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/><https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/>>)  In this case I pointed it
to version 1.9.0. This will prevent having to manually change all inbound links every time
a new release is done. Also will help search engines to correctly identify the latest documentation
that should be listed on results.

>> Many special thanks for this improvement. I wish we did this earlier.
>>
>> BTW, what we need to do to update this latest doc reference when a new version is
rolled out? Could you share the instructions?

>> —
>> Denis
>>
>>> On Mar 10, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Mauricio Stekl <mauricio@gridgain.com <mailto:mauricio@gridgain.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hello Igniters,
>>>
>>> I am sending a .patch file attached with some changes related to SEO that I have
done to Apache Ignite website.

>>> Here are some details:
>>>
>>> 	- Setup rewrite rule on .htaccess so latest API doc can have always the same
URL ( for example https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/ <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/><https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/>>)  In this case I pointed it
to version 1.9.0. This will prevent having to manually change all inbound links every time
a new release is done. Also will help search engines to correctly identify the latest documentation
that should be listed on results.
>>> 	- Added NOINDEX meta tag to all API documentation for versions <= 1.8.0.
This will help crawlers to give more page authority to latest version of the doc, and will
avoid indexing more than 25.000 URLs.
>>> 	- Added canonical url tags and GA tracking code to all .html files for 1.9.0.

>>> 	- Updated some anchor tags on the homepage which were linking to the features
using only the icons and not the feature's title text.