ignite-dev mailing list archives

From "michael.griggs" <michael.gri...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Distribution of keys to partitions
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:13:34 GMT
Valentin Kulichenko wrote
> In 99% of cases number of partition is a power of two, because it's the
> default value. Almost no one changes it. If this change actually provides
> better distribution, it absolutely makes sense to do it.
>
> Michael, can you create a Jira ticket and put you findings there?
>
> -Val

Done - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4828

Andrey Gura wrote
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Andrey Gura &lt;

> agura@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> it makes sense only for cases when partitions count is power of two.
>> Affinity function doesn't have this limitation.

The Replicated cache, which is where this issue was found, has 512
partitions by default.  The default value for Partitioned caches is 1024.
Presumably we can provide a custom implementation of the hash function when
the number of partitions is modified to a non-power-of-two value?