ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Mauricio Stekl <mauri...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: More SEO and API doc cleanup
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2017 15:22:12 GMT
Hi Denis,

Thanks for taking care of the marge!

About the latest doc reference, when a new version is released it would be necessary to do
2 things:

1. Update the new version number on the .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^releases/latest/(.*)$ /releases/1.9.0/$1 [L]

2. Add the following tag to all .html files:
<link rel="canonical" href="https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/LANGUAGE-DIR/FILENAME.html>" />

Bear in mind to change the url accordingly. For example, for java index version would be:
/releases/latest/javadoc/index.html <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/index.html>

This 2nd step can be done with any simple script. In particular I wrote/use the attached .php
scripts which, besides this task, also does other things related to SEO (adding noindex, GA
tracking code, etc). It contains some basic comments with instructions.

Anyway, I do volunteer to do these 2 simple steps every time a new release is done.

Best,
Mauricio Stekl

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 19:37, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Mauricio,
>
> Thanks a lot, I’ve reviewed and merged your changes!
>
>> 	- Setup rewrite rule on .htaccess so latest API doc can have always the same URL
( for example https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/ <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/><https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/>>)  In this case I pointed it
to version 1.9.0. This will prevent having to manually change all inbound links every time
a new release is done. Also will help search engines to correctly identify the latest documentation
that should be listed on results.

> Many special thanks for this improvement. I wish we did this earlier.
>
> BTW, what we need to do to update this latest doc reference when a new version is rolled
out? Could you share the instructions?

> —
> Denis
>
>> On Mar 10, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Mauricio Stekl <mauricio@gridgain.com <mailto:mauricio@gridgain.com>>
wrote:

>> Hello Igniters,
>>
>> I am sending a .patch file attached with some changes related to SEO that I have
done to Apache Ignite website.

>> Here are some details:
>>
>> 	- Setup rewrite rule on .htaccess so latest API doc can have always the same URL
( for example https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/ <https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/><https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/
<https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/>>)  In this case I pointed it
to version 1.9.0. This will prevent having to manually change all inbound links every time
a new release is done. Also will help search engines to correctly identify the latest documentation
that should be listed on results.
>> 	- Added NOINDEX meta tag to all API documentation for versions <= 1.8.0. This
will help crawlers to give more page authority to latest version of the doc, and will avoid
indexing more than 25.000 URLs.
>> 	- Added canonical url tags and GA tracking code to all .html files for 1.9.0.
>> 	- Updated some anchor tags on the homepage which were linking to the features using
only the icons and not the feature's title text.