ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Tasks Scheduling and Chaining
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2017 23:42:26 GMT
Igniters,

Conjure the cases when a task (aka. distributed computation):
- has to executed in an hour or
- its execution has to be triggered only the other task completes.

The first time-based case is partially supported by Ignite’s executor service. However,
it has a significant flaw - a task scheduling happens locally on a node and if the node goes
down the task will never be executed.

The second case is not supported at all but will be nice to have.

The question is how would you implement this API? I see at least three options here:
Extend Compute Grid API by adding ‘scheduleTask(…)’ and ‘executeTasks(tasksChain)’
like methods. This is my preferred component because it has all the interfaces needed to implement
computations, it supports runnables/callables, it’s empowered with the peer-class-loading
feature.
Service Grid API might be a candidate for this but then ‘task’ will be equal to ‘service’
and we can’t take advantage of the peer-class-loading.
Extend Ignite’s executor service making existing scheduling methods independent of the local
node and add a method like 'executeTasks(tasksChain)’ for tasks chaining. However, this
component supports simple runnables/callables and doesn’t have fine-grained interface like
ComputeTask/ComputeJob that add more flexibility for complex scenarios.

My preference is to design the API basing on compute grid. What’s your thoughts on this?
Bring the up!

—
Denis