ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Mohta <rmohta.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Major release 2.0 and compilation
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2016 01:47:26 GMT
Another thought

If there is going to be a breaking change to public API like remove deprecated method or
change signature for a public API
  - create a copy of this class, possibly keeping the same class name but change the package.
Let's say we change the package name from org.ignite.cache to org.ignite.cache.ver2 or similar
  - move this class as-is to another module named ignite-deprecated or ignite-compatibility-1.x
or similar
  - developers can *strongly try* to keep easy upgrade by extending ver2.class. The class
in deprecated/compatibility will probably only have the public API to avoid compilation error
and leverage most of the processing from ver2 class

We as developers probably maintain the deprecated/compatibility branch till 2.0 is GA or a
bit longer. And going forward, we can accept PR from others but developers cannot guarantee
we will keep the compatibility latest.

This is a thought - and kinda practical- we have used it within our application for similar
breaking changes.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 7, 2016, at 15:04, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I would remove as much as possible and prepare a migration guide as Sergey K. suggests
below.

> In any case, we will stick to the flexible approach. As the next step I would split all
the existed APIs in 2 groups. The first group will be for the APIs that will be deleted and
we will provide instructions in the migration guide on how to migrate from them. The second
group will be for those that will be left.