ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What branch to use for Apache Ignite 2.0 development?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2016 21:55:35 GMT
What’s bad about this approach?

Probably we can continue all development in *master*, and in case if we
decide to release another 1.x release, then create branch from ignite-1.8
tag and cherry-pick required fixes there.

Personally, it looks much more flexible to me. We can develop everything directly in master
preparing it for 2.0 and avoiding management of several branches.

Imagine that we’ve already released 2.0 and the master became 2.0 only after that event.
But later on the community decides to release 1.9, 1.10 or other version and we will have
to branch from 1.8 rather than from the master. So, it’s not feasible to predict everything
but if we’re agreed that the next version will be 2.0 then it’s ok to develop in the master
since there is 1.8 branch that can be used for unpredictable situations.

—
Denis