ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject In-Memory SQL Grid
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 20:08:08 GMT
Community,

Frankly speaking, Ignite’s SQL support goes far beyond the notion of Data Grid starting
from Apache Ignite 1.8.
SQL in Ignite is no longer about distributed ANSI-99 SELECT queries only.

It will be about the ability to connect to an Ignite Cluster not only from Java, .NET and
C++ sides, that have their own SQL APIs, but, in general, from your favorite programming language
or analytical tool by the usage of Ignite’s JDBC and ODBC drivers.

Even after you’re connected to the cluster from JDBC or ODBC side you’re no longer limited
by distributed SQL queries. You can freely and easily modify the data with INSERT, UPDATE
and DELETE statements thanks to comprehensive DML supported contributed by Alexander Paschenko
in version 1.8.  To prove this, Igor Sapego issued a guide <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/pdo-interoperability>
on how to start working with an Ignite cluster from PHP side which doesn’t have its own
API implementation on Ignite side.

At all, all this means that SQL features set deserved its own component which I propose to
call In-Memory SQL Grid to conform the naming of the rest of big components like Data Grid,
Compute Grid, Service Grid.

I’ve already started reworking our documentation and will spend some time by enriching and
expanding it. However, this is a starting point:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid>

Feel free to share your thoughts regarding the naming or content of the doc in general.

—
Denis

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid