ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Rudyak <irud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ignite Maven project version number
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 00:25:02 GMT
Not sure about the original reason to fix version of parent POM.

However the approach you proposed has one drawback comparing to
${app.version} approach. We again need to copy-paste new parent version
number into all module POMs when start working on the next version.

Here is more details:

1) Each module POM has such reference to parent:

  *  <parent>*
*        <groupId>org.apache.ignite</groupId>*
*        <artifactId>ignite-parent</artifactId>*
*        <version>1</version>*
*        <relativePath>../parent</relativePath>*
*    </parent>*

2) The main problem here is in *<version>* tag, where you need to specify
parent project version

3) Thus if you are going to change parent version number you need to
copy-paste this number into ALL other POMs.

4) While using ${app.version} property defined in parent POM, you can just
reuse such common peace of configuration in all other POMs:

    *<parent>*
*        <groupId>org.apache.ignite</groupId>*
*        <artifactId>ignite-parent</artifactId>*
*        <version>1</version>*
*        <relativePath>../parent</relativePath>*
*    </parent>*

*    <artifactId>my-module</artifactId>*
*    <version>${app.version}</version>*
5) Such a way, if you want switch to development of next version - you just
need to change ${app.version} property in parent POM and it will be
automatically "reused" by all other POMs. The benefit here is that we need
to change version number only in one place.

Igor Rudyak