ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <r...@evosent.com>
Subject Re: Ignite Maven project version number
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 23:13:35 GMT
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Igor Rudyak <irudyak@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not the solution in this case, cause parent version is always "1"

What's the reason we've chosen to handle the hierarchy differently to most
other projects out there? ​Have we considered versioning the parent POM?
Doesn't a fixed 1 imply that it never evolves?

Releasing the parent POM would also allow folks to create Ignite modules
without forking the entire project, just by referencing a parent POM that
is in Maven Central.

Proposal: Set the project version in the parent POM and release it. All
children modules that inherit the parent will automatically inherit the
project version. Then we can forgo the ${app.version} property – which
quite frankly appears to be a code smell.

Cheers.

---
Raúl Kripalani
linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani | evosent.com
<http://evosent.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=evosent_raul>
| blog: raul.io
<http://raul.io?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=evosent_raul>

skype: raul.fuse