ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IGNITE-3055
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2016 03:08:30 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@gridgain.com> wrote:

> Personally, I don’t get why we need to have specific timeout related
> exceptions. My preferences is to stop this practice starting from
> IgniteDataStreamer and create generic TimeoutException that can be used by
> the new features later.

Disagree. We should either fix it everywhere, or remain consistent
everywhere. From the API standpoint, it will be very confusing if we don’t.

One way to fix it everywhere, and to preserve backward compatibility, we
could have all specific TimeoutExceptions inherit from the generic
TimeoutException and then deprecate them.

> —
> Denis
>
> > On Jul 12, 2016, at 2:35 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrakyan@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > If other Timeout Exceptions are specific, shouldn’t this one be specific
> > data streamer as well, for consistency reasons, e.g.
> > IgniteDataStreamerTimeoutExcepiton?
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Vladislav Pyatkov <
> vpyatkov@gridgain.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Dmitriy,
> >>
> >> I discussed that with Denis and we have decided create new Exception
> type
> >> by some reasons:
> >> 1) The exception need to be unchecked (the behavior means serious
> problem
> >> in grid) hence, TimeoutException will implement IgniteException (as
> >> RintimeException).
> >>
> >> 2) Other timeout exception, which follow the logic, are specific (for
> >> example TransactionTimeoutException).
> >>
> >> So TimeoutException will be RuntimeException, will not be specific for
> >> DataStreamer and can be reuse.
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <
> dsetrakyan@apache.org>

> >> Ignite?

> >> vpyatkov@gridgain.com>

> >> review