ignite-dev mailing list archives

From endianignite <endianign...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ignite Release Schedules - a suggestion
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 07:51:18 GMT
dsetrakyan wrote
> I actually think that the structure can be simpler and we should just
> create a branch per release. Most likely, everything that is currently in
> master should be released anyway, as we all work very hard on making sure
> that master branch is always stable.
>
> I think it does make sense to have a release at least once a quarter or
> even more often. It looks like we are all in agreement here, no?
>
> D.

My feeling is that a big release every quarter is still not allowing us to
be agile enough.  If there is a breaking issue that is discovered, but we
have merged half of an incomplete big feature in to master, then we're going
to have a serious problem.  My own issue at the moment, IGNITE-2080, is a
good example.  Ignite 1.5 cannot run on SunOS, and this turns out to be a
serious issue for my project, as my first client's application will only run
on SunOS!  We are having to provision extra hardware and figure out whether
my project can be run on a different, untested environment, all of which is
impacting the release schedules of my project, my first client's project,
and the projects of those who are dependent on that first client.  The
knock-on effect can be very damaging.

I'm very keen to keep things as simple as possible - but no simpler :-)