ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Switching back to review-then-commit process
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2016 05:16:30 GMT
Branko,

Personally, it's not clear to me why the decision on having RTC process
for committers for most critical modules shows our immaturity in a sense
of open source collaboration.

As Raul properly noted below, the committers were always using RTC
informally for most of the modules trying to reach each other asking to
check changes before they get merged. In my understanding it shows that
Ignite committers takes care more on the quality of the contributions
rather than on a number of patches that get merged in a day or in a
week. The only thing we did for now is that we put this type of
collaboration on a paper.

It's not feasible to create a super comprehensive test that will check
all the cases, it's not realistic to document every line of the internal
code. But it's always possible to check your contribution with a
committer who is more experienced in a specific functionality, get his
feedback and as a result grow your own expertise.

In my initial example I referred to Spark community that has a list of
maintainers as well. I think that this rule didn't lead to the project
stagnation but rather allowed to adopt Spark in tons of projects
worldwide by delivering releases with high quality. At this moment
Ignite community decided to go this way as well. We're free to change
our decision later if something doesn't work.

--
Denis