ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Kornev <andrewkor...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Missing ways to get access to Ignite CacheEntry
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:23 GMT
Couple of points.

First,  if it were up to me, I'd keep the API simple & consistent by always providing
the version as defined by Ignite's CacheEntry interface, regardless whether it's the query
who produces the entry or a specialized method like getEntry(). Which node is going to consume
the data -- a "client" or "server" -- should not matter either. In this case, however a concern
about perceived performance losses due to  the version overhead has apparently trumped any
API integrity and consistency concerns.

Second, given the first point, here's what I think we could do to keep everybody (the performance
kids and the consistency/integrity old-farts) happy. )))

1) getEntry(K) unconditionally always returns a valid version regardless whether it's called
from a client or server. In fact, the only reason to ever use this method is to get the entry
version. I'd even suggest going one step further and have the getEntry() method return Ignite's
CacheEntry interface rather than JCache's Cache.Entry (only to be immediately unwrapped to
Ignite's CacheEntry).

2) for queries, provide an option on the Ignite's Query class (say, setIncludeEntryVersion(boolean))
that would control whether the query should send the version back. By default, it'd be "false"
as to have no impact on performance. More advanced users ;) would still be able to enjoy API
consistency by setting that option to "true".

Deal?
Andrey