ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignite Voting Process
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2015 13:21:01 GMT
Hi Brane,

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> We'd be publishing modules that can't be used without the LGPL
> components. I'm not sure how that stands WRT our policies but I can't
> see how it would be a service to our users to actively nudge them
> towards using restrictive-licensed code.

The ASF policies specify that, as long as our components are optional and
not needed by the core project, we can publish them, obviously *without*
packaging the LGPL binary nor implicitly "dragging it in" during the build.
This can be achieved with a 'runtime' scope in Maven.

It does make a huge difference to the end user of these 3 modules – being
able to reference ignite-hibernate and simply having to manually drop in
the Hibernate dependency vs. having to: (1) check out the source, (2) run
the build, (3) publish the artifacts in their corporate Nexus repo, etc. +
having to do this *for each release*.

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer