ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject "Default" path modes in IGFS
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2015 14:52:07 GMT
Folks,

We have a concept of "default" path modes in IGFS which appears quite
strange to me. Basically, it creates 4 hard path <-> mode mappings which
cannot be overriden:

/ignite/primary -> PRIMARY mode
/ignite/sync -> DUAL_SYNC mode
/ignite/async -> DUAL_ASYNC mode
/ignite/proxy -> PROXY mode

I hardly find this feature useful. First, it is counterintuitive and might
lead to strange conflicts with real user paths. Second, it leads to funny
performance problem: as PROXY mode always defined, users of
IgniteHadoopFileSystem will observe unnecessary initialization of secondary
file system, even if it is not needed.

I considered several approaches to fix that:
1) Add boolean flag to configuration to control whether to initialize these
paths or not;
2) Just remove this feature.

The second option looks more suitable to me because I do not see what value
do these defaults add. So I'd like to remove these dafaults.

Any objections/thoughts?

Vladimir.