ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: EA versioning
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2015 23:11:04 GMT
On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 11:30AM, Sergi Vladykin wrote:
> Cos and Brane,
>
> This issue arised not from our feeling of beautiful, but from practical
> reasons,
> namely we need to conform existing Maven and OSGi version models at the
> same time.
>
> We did not invent Maven or OSGi, but if we want to play with them well,
> we have to keep in mind their own quirks and bad design decisions,
> when choosing how our versions will look like.

Very true. However, both Maven and OSGi are supporting normal semver schema,
so the argument doesn't apply ;)

> Cos,
>
> JDK and Linux kernel are bad examples here exactly because
> they were free to choose any good or bad versioning they want,
> we are not that free.

We are free to stick to simver and don't make convoluted choices, that will
confuse the hell out of the users. I am seen 1.5.0-b1 getting released and I
already have no idea if it is better than 1.5.0 or worst. If the latter -
where's 1.5.0 then?

> Could you please clarify what exactly happened with HBase?
> And why do you think we will have the same problems?

Hbase used to have 0.98.16.1-hadoop2 and 0.98.16.1-hadoop1 classifiers to
distinguish between different versions of HDFS base. Considering that maven
classifiers are designed to differentiate between _types_ of artifacts, not
the platforms, hooking up to the hbase artifacts from different dependency
management systems were a royal PITA.

We'll have the same problem exactly because these are arbitrary choices and have
no similarities with anything else out there. The most effective engineering
principal is KISS: anything that goes against it will have a higher friction
with the users. Meaning more disoriented emails on the user@ list, more
frustration and incorrectly filed bug reports, reflecting in a lower
traction with future contributors.

Cheers,
  Cos