ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignite-1.5 Release
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:11:29 GMT
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Yakov Zhdanov <yzhdanov@apache.org> wrote:

> Raul, I don't see anything wrong with this approach. EA2 can follow EA.
> Versioning of EAs does not matter too much to me :)

If you are wanting to push EAs to Central, then we must have a predictable
versioning scheme. Publishing to Central makes the release perpetual. So
EA2 after EA is not predictable. If you insist on this idea, I would use
EA-01, EA-02, EA-03, etc.

Let's design things out well and avoid being haphazard.

> You can download EAP build of IntellijIdea, although Idea 14 is available
> now for more than 1 year already.

You know for a fact that IntelliJ's EAPs are removed once they are no
longer relevant. Because they own their file server and can remove them
whenever they want. That's why only 15 EAP and 14.1 EAP are available.

Haven't you thought why 13 EAP, 12 EAP, etc. are no longer available?

> Btw, here is one more example of keeping EA versions in repo -
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.sun.jersey/jersey-client

You are talking about releases from 2012 and older. Haven't you realised
why they stopped doing that? Please don't bend reality to make it fit your
arguments.

Hibernate seems to keep all versions in maven -
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.hibernate/hibernate-core

Yes, and they publish Betas, Service Packs, Release Candidates, etc. They
have a complex, pragmatic and well-defined lifecycle.
We are just talking about EAs in a very particular situation. It's going to
be extremely random to look back and see:

Ignite 1.2.0
Ignite 1.3.0
Ignite 1.4.0
Ignite 1.5.0-EA
Ignite 1.5.0
Ignite 1.6.0

If we want to define a full lifecycle with public milestones, I'm all up
for it. It does create lots of complexity and release work, though. But
publishing an EA to Central just because in this particular release we
changed something big, to me it's a NO-NO.

> Personally I do not insist on releasing this in maven, but I don't think
> this is anything extraordinary.
>
> Guys, any more opinions?

I would like to hear the opinions of people outside of GG. @Cos, @Brane?

And please Yakov, let's respect the community and don't take decisions by
ourself without consensus and without giving people the opportunity to
speak their mind.

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer