ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Branch deletion prohibited
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:07:33 GMT
I agree that there is absolutely no problems of have multiple ways to
provide contributions.

If you are contributor, you can:
- Provide a patch;
- Provide a PR using GitHub mirror.

If you are committer, you can:
- Provide a patch;
- Provide a PR using GitHub mirror;
- Use branch in ASF repo and remove it in the end.

ASF branches removal is temporary restricted by INFRA. As soon as it is
enabled again why not using it? It is the easiest way to provide
contributions and review them.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Raul Kripalani <raulk@apache.org> wrote:

> Lads,
>
> It is not clear to me whether branch deletion is prohibited ASF-wide
> (Dmitriy: "we *cannot* delete branches") or by express project request.
> I've understood both things from the thread. So let's wait for INFRA to
> clarify: [1].
>
> Can someone please explain why we resort to Github in the first place? Was
> it for CI integration purposes?
>
> Regards,
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/agent/INFRA/issue/INFRA-10798
>
> *Raúl Kripalani*
> PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
> Messaging Engineer
> http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani
> http://blog.raulkr.net | twitter: @raulvk
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Pavel Tupitsyn <ptupitsyn@gridgain.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to add that there is virtually no difference between using a
> > branch in original repo and a branch in your personal fork on GitHub.
> > Merges and other operations work seamlessly between multiple remotes.
> > Committers don't even have to create PRs (except to run a TC build).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Yakov Zhdanov <yzhdanov@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > But this leads to tons of garbage in repo and abandoned branches, etc.
> > >
> > > --Yakov

> contributions.

> > forks,
> > > here