ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch deletion prohibited
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 21:00:02 GMT
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:02PM, Raul Kripalani wrote:
> Hi Brane,
>
> I hadn't joined the project back then, so I don't know the history, but my
> guess is that the loss of traceability might have occurred as a result of
> importing the code from an external repository. I don't see why they could
> be attributed to branch deletion – probably I'm not feeling creative enough
> today ;-)
>
> The current prohibition seems to be temporary. There's was fragility in the
> current scenario – since any committer could delete any Git head from the
> repo, including fundamental ones which should be protected by all means:
> master, develop, maintenance streams, etc. So if a dev accidentally deleted
> master, and you were unlucky enough that the Git server decided to run gc
> between then and the time you tried to recover from reflog, you could be
> pretty screwed. Well – not so much, because presumably other devs would be
> having local copies of master and could re-push them. But it's still a
> hardcore vulnerability!
>
> In Ignite, the branches we create to implement JIRA issues originate from
> our ASF Git repo itself, so traceability is feasible at all times. A
> different story would be to pull from a remote repo (Github – this could be
> problematic in terms of IP) into the ASF. In my opinion, Board does need to
> regulate that, because using GH for pull requests may lead to some dubious
> situations with regards to IP. (I can elaborate if you guys are interested
> to discuss).

As far as I see, direct pulls from other repos isn't usually a case. Even if
one has two remotes - one for ASF git & another for GH - and cherry-pick a
commit from GH to ASF, it is traceable by the virtue of associated JIRA
tickets, etc. So, yes - while a potential pain in the butt - a solvable
situation.

Cos