ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Igfs PURGE events: do we need them?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 20:00:35 GMT
Let me ask a different question: what's the point of having the concept of
TRASH?

Here's an example why I think the 'soft' delete would only complicate thing.
Suppose IGFS is sitting on top of HDFS and both have 'Trash' enabled. Now,
the file is getting soft-deleted from IGFS and is moved to TRASH folder. But
in HDFS it is also a move to a place which doesn't have any special meaning
for HDFS.

Even worst, if IFGS TRASH is linked to HDFS .Trash. HDFS has it's own policy
on how to clean that up, which is likely to be different from that on IGFS.
Often enough, HDFS .Trash is simply disabled. This discrepancy is going to
create a situation when a file should still be in TRASH, but the secondary FS
has already purged it.

And what if yet another secondary file system like S3 has yet another policy
around their own trash, which they don't even have, I believe?

Where I am going with this is pretty straight forward: let's drop the
soft-delete support and let the secondary FS to deal with it. If there's no
secondary FS configured - the content of deleted file will have to retrieved
by other means.

Thoughts?
  Cos