ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch deletion prohibited
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:41:21 GMT
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 09:08AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 23.11.2015 04:13, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 02:16PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> >> Cos,
> >>
> >> I believe this is the ticket:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10798
> >>
> >> This policy does seem myopic, would be great if Ignite could get an
> >> exemption.
> > Thanks! I already have sent email to the board where this discussion is going
> > right now. Hopefully, this ban will be lifted soon.
>
> The best way to get this changed is to invent a workflow that doesn't
> delete important information. "Important" in this case meaning "always
> knowing where a particular bit of code came from". Most "optimal" Git
> workflows tend to happily rebase and squash such info out the window.

How it is different if I take _all_ code in an SVN trunk, pack into a giant
tarball, then create a fresh branch and commit that blob as a single commit?

The situation isn't git specific - it's people specific. Solving people
problem with tech never works, really.

> Case in point: when Ignite was incubating, we had an issue where we
> could not track the IP of the JSR166 backports (ConcurrentHashMap et
> al.), neither in the ASF repo (which was sort-of expected) nor in the
> original GridGain repo, because info about the original import was lost.
> We ended up having to remove those files and re-import them from the
> canonical source, so that we could be certain about the license. In this
> case, by sheer luck, the solution was simple.

The assumption that it happened because of git is non consequential, actually.
Most likely that was a result of some mundane reasons like moving
repos/re-importing the code from one place to another, etc. Keep in mind, the
code base is like 8 years old, and wasn't in git originally. Perhaps it was
sitting in SVN and brought-up to git with fast-import, which shouldn't be used
really.

> The ASF promises its users that we have complete oversight of the IP in
> our released source and can easily audit any single byte of source all
> the way to its original author. Deleting a branch in Git (and other
> destructive changes) can make auditing extremely hard, in some cases
> impossible.
>
> Granted that forbidding branch deletions isn't the only way to solve
> this problem; but it certainly goes a long way towards fixing it. Now
> it's up to *you* guys (i.e., every project at the ASF that uses Git
> repos) to come up with a workflow that allows branch deletions but
> doesn't lose the ability to audit the source; forbidding squashed merges
> would probably do it, but I'm sure there are other ways.

That sounds like tossing the problem from one side of the fence to another.
PMC should be in control of the project IP and all other paraphernalia. PMC is
responsible before the board for this type if policy commotions. I am not trying
to dismiss the importance of the paper-trail for IP-related issues. All I am
saying that disabling a perfectly valid functionality because there's a chance
of somebody misusing it, is like UK prohibiting the sales of the butter-knives
to the under aged: ludicrous at best.

Cos

Data and

Big