ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Which thread is used to run IgniteFuture continuations?
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:49:27 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Vladimir Ozerov <vozerov@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It looks like the problem is deeper and is not limited to futures. It
> relates to any user code. For example:
>
> 1) Register either local or remote message listener:
> Ignite.message().localListen("myTopic", myLsnr);
>
> 2) Send a message to the topic from the same node:
> Ignite.message().send("myTopic", "Hello world!");
>
> As a result, listener will be invoked synchronously from the same thread.
> It means we cannot utilize resources efficiently in case of local message.

I am a bit confused. Which thread is the "same" thread? Do you mean the
thread that does the listener notification? In that case, I can say that I
have performed various benchmarks in the past, and this is the most
performant way, assuming that the listener logic can execute relatively
fast and does not block the calling thread.