ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>
Subject Let's please fix the mess in Git
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2015 20:32:49 GMT
Igniters,

1. Git history is polluted by lots of commits like: "Merge remote-tracking
branch 'origin/ignite-1.4' into ignite-1.4". Is there a logical reason for
this? Why doesn't the team use git pull --rebase?

2. Let's please define a policy for Git commit messages. The current Git
history is an *utter mess*. This is totally unacceptable on master:
https://imgur.com/I95TPMd.

   a. Commit messages must carry a context. You should not oblige your
fellows to dig into the diff to understand what you've done.

   b. Even if you are referencing a JIRA ticket, please include some
context. Nobody remembers ticket numbers by heart and it's a waste of time
to open a browser tab for every commit.

   c. Pasting the full JIRA URL is wasteful and uses precious real estate.
Everybody knows that if you refer to IGNITE-nnnn, you're referring to an
ASF JIRA ticket.

I agree with many of the tips on this post about Git commit message best
practices [1]. I suggest you read if you haven't yet.

3. Let's clarify the merging policy. Yakov complained because I merged a
branch without squashing. But I see people are doing this. He also
referenced a Wiki page that explained the procedure for Github pull
requests. Are we allowed to merge internal branches without squashing?

[1] http://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/

Regards,

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and