ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <r...@evosent.com>
Subject Re: version names
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:37:10 GMT
My concrete proposal:

* Prefix branches with "something/", as many UI tools parse slashes into a
tree structure. It's also what's proposed in Git flow.
* Stay away from the word "release" for this, as it can be confused with
the release branch for a single release. This branch represents a
"maintenance line" or "stream". I personally like the term "stream".
* Keep a placeholder in the name, e.g. ignite-1.4.x so it's clear it's not
for a concrete release, but the entire stream of releases.
* Maybe drop the word "ignite", e.g.: stream/1.4.x. Someone raised the
point about releasing subprojects, but the key question is: would all
projects share the same lifecycle? (maintaining multiple subprojects with
different lifecycles is a lot of effort...). If yes, dropping the prefix
'ignite' would not obliterate information.

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer
http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani