ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Coding Guidelines: zookeeper IP finder and mqtt streamer
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:20:31 GMT
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Raul Kripalani <raul@evosent.com> wrote:

    (3) we have no tooling in place. The Ignite community is dominated by
> the people who wrote the code and have become accustomed to reading it day
> and night for years. They have a trained eye to detect weird stuff. They
> need to understand that. Others like me do not and never will, because
> we're involved in tens of projects, each with a different coding style.
> That's why I insist in the importance of checkstyle. I'm bound to this
> community now, but if I was a newcomer, this kind of witch hunt would have
> deterred me from contributing to Ignite ever again. And as a current PMC
> member, I'm very concerned about this attitude in general (but that's a
> different topic).

Raul, I don't think I agree with you here. Somehow you are making it sound
that if we don't have the "right" tooling, then we should not try to
enforce coding guidelines. That would be a disaster in my view.

I think that given the current situation, providing styling comments during
reviews is the right way to go. All the feedback we have received so far is
that people generally appreciate how nice Ignite code looks, and gladly
accept the feedback on style from more experienced committers.

Also, take a look at some other replies on this subject, especially the
comments that came from the new community members.

D.