ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] PMC Chair rotation
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2015 04:01:19 GMT
Guys,

I want to drop it on the list and see what are the thoughts the PMC. I think
it would be very beneficial for the members of this community if we institute
a policy to have regular rotations of the Chair. We do this in Bigtop and it
works real well for a couple of reasons:
 - it provides an opportunity to anyone in the PMC to try this hat on and get
   more involved in the inner-workings of the ASF and see how the board operates
 - it guarantees that once you're a chair you aren't stuck holding the bag
   forever and can pass it on if your time allocation changes
 - such a policy makes the PMC very transparent

And of course it doesn't mean that a new person _has_ to be the chair each
cycle. The same chair should remain if no one is nominated or gets the
majority of the votes.

At Bigtop we passed a resolution to oblige the active chair to start the
[DISCUSS] thread at the end of his annual tenure and ask for nominations. The
active chair remains and no [VOTE] is needed if no nominations are made.
Pretty lazy and simple.

If people aren't familiar with what's the PMC Chair and why all that fuzz,
please read on
    https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
And I recommend everyone to take a look above PMC guide if you never seen it
before.

Thoughts?
  Cos