ignite-dev mailing list archives

From akarnokd <akarn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Brainstorming about Reactive Streams
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:35:14 GMT
I'd definitely go on a Reactive-Streams path (although I don't know what
Apache Ignite does), however, there seems to be a small confusion around RS.
RS is a set of 4 interfaces and practically unusable on its own. One needs a
library built around it such as Project Reactor, Akka Streams and RxJava
2.0. Such library, likely, will also slip into the API itself due to its
usefulness.

For example, the following API is inconvenient to use but is definitely
cutting-edge:

Publisher<Data> getData();

but you can only subscribe to it in its plain form or wrap it with one of
the libraries:

Observable.fromPublisher(getData()).map().filter().group()...

I'm not sure about the others, but RxJava 2.0 Observable (which later may be
renamed to Flowable) implement Publisher directly, therefore, the following
getData() may return an RxJava Observable and still be consumable via
Reactor or Akka (after wrapping/fluent-conversion, of course):

getData().to(Streams::from).dispatchOn(...)

Although I'm pretty confident that RxJava 2.0 works right now, it is still
considered alpha and based on past experience with its gatekeepers, it may
take 6-12 months until an official release comes out.