ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Artem Shutak <ashu...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Create patch instructions.
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 08:35:53 GMT
On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 03:22PM, Artem Shutak wrote:
> > Inline.
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrakyan@apache.org
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Huge +1 on pull requests. Would be great if we could make TC work with
> > > that.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Alexey Kuznetsov <
> akuznetsov@gridgain.com>

> of
> > >

> > Yes, I'm investigating this approach.

> there
> > >

> > I don't like rebase. Actually, at example from wiki it's not important,
> > what will be used "rebase" or "merge", but with "merge" a contributor
> will
> > have more simple conflict resolving. The git-format-patch.sh script will
> > create patch file with only one commit, which contains all changes at
> > development branch (the branch local), so it will not save a history of
> > commits.
>
> We have discussed exactly this point in length: why would you need to
> preserve
> a potentially nonsensical commits like
>     "Oh damn - I forgot to remove the comment in this file"
>
> Also, I don't see how merge is easier from the conflict resolution POW.
> What
> did you mean by that?

I could be wrong, but in my understanding, with 'merge' you have 3 source
version of file: state of file at first branch, at second branch and a
'base' (a state of file for both branches before changes), with 'rebase'
you don't have the 'base' . In some cases this information can be really
helpful.

Artem