ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IGNITE-1217 TC triggering by github pull-requests
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 22:34:34 GMT
Although you can, I don't recommend merging the pull request directly from
the contributor's Github repo into the ASF Git, as you will preserve their
commit history.

Normally you wouldn't be interested in doing so, as it might have taken
them 2, 5 or 10 commits to implement the contribution, and keeping that
history on our side is not useful nor does it provide value.

Rather, it's cleaner to generate a patch and apply it in ASF Git.

At Camel, we include a note "With thanks to John Doe" in the commit message
to leave the meritocracy footprint.

Raúl.
On 14 Aug 2015 01:55, "Dmitriy Setrakyan" <dsetrakyan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 05:40PM, Alexey Goncharuk wrote:
> > > Maybe I miss a good piece of information about how Git works, but I
> > always
> > > thought that if a pull request is accepted, it will be merged to the
> > GitHub
> > > mirror of Apache Ignite. How will this change get to the original
> Apache
> > > git repository?
> >
> > It won't. github repo is a mirror of Apache git mirror. In order to have
> > the
> > changes from github PR to be in visible in the github a committer needs
> > commit it into our Apache repo.
> >

> Cos, will the original contributor's name be preserved or should the Ignite
> committer add "-author" parameter when committing?
>

> > Cos
> >
> > > Can somebody explain to me the merge procedure?

> > dsetrakyan@apache.org

> ashutak@gridgain.com>

> > via

> > then