ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API stability.
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 21:07:38 GMT
On 29.08.2015 00:06, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 05:14PM, Vladimir Ozerov wrote:
>> Dima,
>>
>> I'm not suggesting doing this, they are already not stable. For example,
>> take a look at IgniteCacheObjectProcessor. This is a component which can be
>> injected through plugins, thus it is "semi-public". However, it is under
>> heavy changes and if some unlucky guy is to implement a plugin using this
>> processor, he will face compilation errors with each new Ignite release.
>>
>> My suggestion is to define policies for things like that. One of possible
>> solutions - is to annotate APIs so that developers are aware of potential
>> problems.
>>
>> One more example from Hadoop:
>> 1) org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem: @Public, @Stable
>> 2) org.apache.hadoop.fs.AbstractFileSystem: @Public, *@Evolving*
> I think having those annotations aren't making developers more aware about
> potential compatibility problems, nor enforce any kind of policy mechanism
> around API compatibility. There's a plenty of examples in Hadoop (YARN in 2.4
> and some other stuff before it) where incompatible changes were introduced in
> minor releases and had to be quickly corrected in a consequent patch release.
>
> What these annotations might help with is to quickly settle the argument that
> certain APIs shouldn't have been used in the first place, because they were
> @Evolving or otherwise. It's more like a UML diagram: if something goes wrong
> ppl have a common ground to find our who has screwed up and why; but it
> doesn't prevent the screw-up itself.
>
> Perhaps relying on public APIs as the only fully approved for 3rd party
> software developers is the only recourse in this case.

There's nothing inherently wrong with publishing experimental public
APIs, as long as they're clearly marked as such. Subversion does that,
on rare occasions; we don't loose sleep over people writing code against
those APIs, they get ample warning at compile time and in the docs. Once
the APIs are finalized, we remove the experimental annotation.

-- Brane