ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Sergi Vladykin <sergi.vlady...@gmail.com>
Subject Unstructured object format.
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:40:11 GMT
Guys, specially Alexey G.

I've attended PostgreSQL conference and there was a talk about unstructured
data format.
They had an interesting idea of serialized layout close enough to ours, I'm
not sure how much this is different from our approach and if we can use
some ideas from it but anywaus it looks really promising to me and I want
to share.

The structure basically is the following:

[key headers] [keys] [values]

Key headers are [key offset, key length] so they are of a fixed length.

The cool idea here is that keys and respectively the key headers sorted by
(key length, key) so that you can do a lookup first by fast picking key of
the needed length without looking at keys at all and then pick an exact
key. Both searches can be done with fast scan if there are small number of
keys and binary search for a larger number of keys.

Alexey G., could you please compare this to our new marshalling approach
you are about to merge?
BTW, it would be nice if you will describe it in details here.

Sergi