ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.2.0 release (RC2)
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 22:51:56 GMT
On 01.07.2015 21:07, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 11:42AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:

>> source
>>> Cos, of course we know this. How should we call the Apache Ignite binary
>>> release on the Apache Ignite website?
>> As has been discussed a numerous times, these are "convenience binaries"
>> not a
>> binary release. The latter will be frown upon by IPMC (again).
>>
> We call them correctly on the website. I will make sure to call them
> "convenience" binaries in the dev list communication as well.

I'm more concerned with your assertion that "users should build with
LGPL libraries included." This implies that the LGPL bits are /not/
optional for full functionality, which is what I've been told several
times in the past.

"Optional" means the code works and is fully functional without the
dependency. If you can't achieve that with Ignite without the LGPL bits,
then you have a moderately huge rewrite ahead of you before you can even
think of graduating, not least because you seem to view the ASF policies
as something to work around, not something to conform to.

So can I have a straight answer? Was all this optional LGPL talk just to
fit into ASF policies, or is it actually true? And let's clear this up
here please before the peanut gallery of the IPMC starts voicing 573
different opinions.

-- Brane