ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Important: Git Policy Changed
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:33:19 GMT
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 01:33PM, Pavel Tupitsyn wrote:
> > I hope so, it'd be horrible to do that on master!
>
> Exactly!
> But I do not see much sense in enforcing any kind of policy in personal
> branches. Sometimes rebase may be better, sometimes I may want to use merge
> so I see when and which changes came from master branch, etc.
> Only the implementer cares about the look of history in his branch, so it
> is up to him.

You can do with your personal branch whatever you pleased with, of course.
However, if you make 112 intermediate commits while working on something,
there's no need to unleash it on everyone; also it is of little interest to
anyone to see how many times you merged from the master to your local branch.

In this respect, hygiene of the personal branches are of little concern to
anyone, until one starts contaminating the shared history. Does it make sense?

> > Also what will happen if someone will do merge but other rebase?
>
> Nothing will happen, we are talking about personal branches, they end up
> being removed. And resulting work is squashed into a patch.

Actually, I didn't say anything on how the content of the change is delivered
to the master. If you want to do it with patches - sure; but I think it'd be
better to do keep using git facilities for that and simply merge dev -> master
when you're ready.

Cos