ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ognen Duzlevski <ognen.duzlev...@gmail.com>
Subject close() method on cache revisited
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 04:33:49 GMT
Has the close() method on caches been changed at all? Last I know was that
invoking close() on a cache destroys it completely - which I do not think
is the intention of this method, esp. in a distributed setting.

Has that been clarified and a decision made? I noticed that the Ignite docs
now state clearly that close() destroys a cache but in my opinion that is
an issue....

>From the jsr107 for close():
"Closing a Cache does not necessarily destroy the contents of a Cache. It
simply signals to the owning CacheManager that the Cache is no longer
required by the application and that future uses of a specific Cache
instance should not be permitted. Depending on the implementation and Cache
topology, e.g., a storage backed or distributed caches, the contents of a
closed Cache may still be available and accessible by other applications or
in fact via the Cache Manager that previously owned the Cache if an
application calls getCache at some point in the future."

There is also a specific destroyCache() method in the spec which, I think,
does what its name implies. I would say we need to make close()
non-destructive and different from destroyCache().

Thanks :-)
Ognen