ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject changes in marshaling and SQL
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:28:29 GMT
Igniters,

As a part of Denis Magda's work on IGNITE-950
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-950>, we are not going to
require that server side nodes have class definitions of user classes, as
we are going to keep them in the binary format. This is a BIG deal, as now
users will not have to copy their application JAR files to the server nodes.

However, this change also affects the way we support queries. Previously,
we simply extracted fields using reflection to do index lookups, but now we
cannot use reflection, since we do not have class definitions on the
servers anymore.

As a result, the following restrictions are going to be introduced to the
query processing:

   1. @QuerySqlField annotation can't be set to a getter method anymore,
   only to fields.
   2. Comparable on _key and _value type will not work anymore. However,
   "_key" and "_value" types are auto-generated and mostly used internally by
   Ignite itself.

Generally, I believe that both (1) and (2) are not a big deal. However, I
would like to confirm that for the (2), we can still retrieve and sort
primitive values and Strings natively.

Serj, given that you are working on the query changes, can you confirm the
(2)?

D.