ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Improve Ignite GIT Process
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:51:11 GMT
On 11.06.2015 09:37, Valentin Kulichenko wrote:
> Actually this silence is my main concern here :)
>
> We're going the change the process. And everyone in the community has to
> move to the new process at the same time. I have nothing against consensus
> concept, but IMHO there should be some formal indicator. Such a vote (if we
> do not apply majority rules to it) can be one of them - when the vote is
> closed, decision is made. Are there other options?

Silence is no different than not casting a vote. It either means "I
agree" or "I can't even be bothered to read the mailing lists", that's
why we us the at-least-72-hours rule, which is not a rule but a
guideline and it makes sense to extend the deadline for important decisions.

In either case, it's up to each individual contributor to conform to the
process that the community decided to implement. If at a later date you
find, through code/commit review (which you should be doing anyway!)
that someone isn't following the process, you gently remind them about
that, point to the documentation and ask them to follow it.

I'll remind you again that this is a community of volunteers, not a
hierarchically structured corporation.

-- Brane