ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Acceptable Patch Format
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:57:09 GMT
On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 11:46AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 03.06.2015 10:06, Gianfranco Murador wrote:
> > Hi Artem,
> >  I'm going to run the following commands to create the patch.  are these
> > steps correct ?
> >
> > ## Get the repo
> > git clone -b ignite-sprint-5 https://github.com/apache/incubator-ignite.git
> > git checkout -b ignite-788
> >
> > ## Commit the changes
> > git commit -a -m 'Ignite 788 Implementation';
> > git checkout -b ignite-sprint-5
> > git merge ignite-788
> >
> > ## launch the script to create a file patch
> > scripts/git-format-patch.sh
> >
> > Thank you,
> >  Regards, Gianfranco
>

> Blimey. If this is even close to true, I'm even more astounded by
> gitficionados. So much churn just to replicate something that 'svn diff'
> can do in oine go. :)

Clearly, 'git diff' would be doing the same as 'svn diff' The whole
paraphernalia, hopefully, has to do with how to make the changes available to
the CI system. But...! And this is a big butt ;) non-committers don't have
creds to push new branches to git anyway. Hence, they should be able to deal
with their local git branches as they pleased, IMO. The only thing we need to
have requirements for - is the patch format: either 'git format-patch' or
else.

Cos