ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IGFS
Date Mon, 25 May 2015 18:08:58 GMT
On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Vladimir Ozerov <vozerov@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> I already raised question about backups several months ago but no
> implementation decisions were made.
> I am not aware of any architectural problems preventing us form having
> backups, but currently backups is prohibited eplicitly, and user will get
> validation error if backup is configured on data cache. However, this makes
> sense in the most common use case - IGFS as a caching layer over some
> perstent file system.

I would vote to remove such restriction. I think the rationale before was
to prevent users from allocating extra memory for backups when they could
simply persist to HDFS. But now we are seeing that people are starting to
use IGFS without Hadoop altogether.

Alexey G, can you share your thoughts on the matter as well?