ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git practices [Was: Development process]
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:09:49 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> On 30.04.2015 00:48, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > These simple rules allow to produce a much cleaner git history, which is
> > easier to work with, bisect if needed, and in general do any sorts of
> tracing.
>
> I have to point out that the goal of version control is not to have a
> "clean git history" but to have an audit trail of what went into the
> code, when and by whom. Rebase destroys that information. While I can
> marginally understand people wanting to look nice in public and rebasing
> stuff in their local repository clones, rebasing anything that's already
> been pushed upstream is a recipe for disaster (and repository corruption).
>
> We quite recently had a case where we could not trace the history of
> jdk8 backports and therefore could not decide whether they were public
> domain or GPL. Really, that's a horrible way to do version control.
>
> Maybe instead of trying to fudge the history to make it "cleaner", you
> could consider a different workflow that doesn't involve creating a
> branch fore every line of code you write. That's a bit like sayin, Oh, I
> have a hammer, let's go find as many nails as I can, instead of just
> hammering in those nails you actually need. And use a wrench for the
> nuts, please, a hammer just ruins them.

Brane, the only reason a branch is created for every ticket is CI. We need
to make sure that all tests pass before in developer's branch on CI before
the final merge. In current scheme, CI build runs every time there is a
push to any branch. Such scheme allows us to make sure that sprint branches
are always green and all the tests pass.

Do you have another scheme in mind? Happy to discuss.