ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Development process
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:03:47 GMT
On 29.04.2015 18:10, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> I think one of the biggest improvements in this release is fully automated
> build process. As Yakov suggested, the instructions to run the build are in
> the DEVNOTES.txt in sprint-4 branch:
>
> http://s.apache.org/caf
>
> Brane, Cos, please take a look and let us know if you have any comments.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. I do have a few comments.

Fist of all, the release instructions don't say anything about release
artefact naming. I got the impression that the package names were more
or less an accident; certainly they've been less than consistent in the
last couple release attempts! It's also not clear from the instructions
how to correctly create the source package.

It's important that the source package creation and naming is consistent
and not an accident of how somebody happens to have their work area set up.

> Deploy Ignite release to maven repository and site:
> Start vote based on people.apache.org/~<username>/ignite-version.

That's the wrong way around. Vote first, then release. If there's a
/staging/ area in the maven repo, then that's different (and equivalent
to the staging area on dist.apache.org), so please make that clear in
the release docs. It's not clear to me, although it's sort of implied by:

> Release nexus staging when version accepted.

but ... how do you do that? Document it; it's not obvious that everyone
should be completely familiar with Maven repository management.

> Configure access to people.apache.org/~<username>. It necessary to upload sources
to site.

I think I mentioned this before but I'd /really/ recommend that you use
the dist repository for this, not some random home directory, even if it
is on people.apache.org.

Currently, you put final releases in

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ignite

which is per spec. I strongly recommend that you put source packages
that are ready for release voting into

   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ignite

because then, once a release has been approved, a single remote "svn
copy" operation will move the package to the dist/release area, leaving
no room for error in this step. It also makes the release process
independent of any single person's login on people.apache.org.

Oh, by the way, the release instructions say nothing about putting the
source release on dist/release ...

> You might need to allow connection to people.apache.org. Just do following at console:
>
> ssh people.apache.org
>
> and type "yes" + enter.

Do not ever again recommend bad security practices in your docs!  You
must *not* "type yes + enter", you must double-check the server key
fingerprint before trusting the server.

-- Brane